Bing Webmasters Tool : How to Verify your WordPress/Blogger Blog
Bing webmasters tool is much like google webmasters tool, but quite no. of things differ. I’ll do a comparison article later, lets stick to Bing only. In simple words it is all-in-one place and solution for webmasters who wish to observe their site closely, its search pattern and quries, on Bing. Apart from these simple yet useful tasks, the webmaster tool offer several other useful features and tools too. Their are several paid webmaster tools too, but bing’s one can be used for free. Not much, still bing offers features to webmasters to optimize their blog for Bing. In this article I’ll cover all the major aspects of Bing webmasters tool.
How to Add your site to Bing Webmasters tool ?
- Register for an account, then click on this link to go to the “Add a site” page to add your site.
- Fill up the form displayed, and then Click on save. After clicking on save you would be redirected to the verification page, you can verify your site in three ways “By Uploading a file” , “By Addind a meta tag” or by “Changing the Cname records“.
- The first two methods i.e uploading a file and adding a meta tag work fine, but I find changing Cname records are not worth. Below are steps to verify your bing ownership by : Uploading the file and adding a meta tag. :
Verification Method #1 Uploading a File
- Before moving make sure you have classicFtp or any Ftp software installed. ( You can check out my article on Ftp to get used of uploading and deleting files, which would help you in verification below )
- Download the Bingsiteauth.xml file.
- Now open Classicftp and connect to your blog/site’s server, make sure you are in the home directory of your site/blog.
- In classicftp navigate to home directory in the left pane where you downloaded verification file, and make sure that you have home directory in the right pane. And then press the > green button to upload it to your home directory of the website/blog.
- http://www.yoursitename.com/BingSiteAuth.xml in the address bar and open the page to cross check if the file uploaded correctly, if so, you would see a page like snapshot above. After cross checking click on verify located in the bottom of the page. After Uploading, Enter
Verification Method #2 Meta Tags
In addition to the uploading file, you can also verify your bing ownership by adding a meta tag in your <head> section of your web page. Comparison to method above ; this is much easier and faster. You can do it in some simple steps :
Copy the meta tag to be inserted in between the <head> ——– </head>. It would look just like
<meta name=”msvalidate.01″ content=”5907A63XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX” />.
If you have direct access to your website html then you can add the code directly. But if you use a blogging tool like blogger or WordPress, then use the steps below :[tabs type=”horizontal”][tabs_head][tab_title]WordPress[/tab_title][tab_title]Blogger[/tab_title][/tabs_head][tab]
1. Install Jetpack Plugin
2. Activate the site verification feature.
3. Go to Tools > And the paste the code in Bing web-master tool
4. Clear cache if you use any caching plugin[/tab][tab]
1 Go to template > Edit html
2. Press ctrl + F and search for <head> tag
3. Below the tag paste the code and click on save template.[/tab][/tabs]
Final Words : I hope you would have enjoyed reading the article. If you think I missed something do correct me in the comments below. Do consider sharing the article on social networking websites to help me grow.